SIFEM will not finance any activity, production, use of, trade in, distribution of or involving:
- Forced labor or child labor
- Activities or materials deemed illegal under host country laws or regulations or international conventions and agreements, or subject to international phase-outs or bans, such as:
- Ozone-depleting substances, PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls) and other specific hazardous pharmaceuticals, pesticides/herbicides or chemicals;
- Wildlife or products regulated under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species or Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES); or
- Unsustainable fishing methods (e.g., blast fishing and drift-net fishing in the marine environment using nets in excess of 2.5 km in length).
- Cross-border trade in waste and waste products, unless compliant to the Basel Convention and the underlying regulations.
- Destruction of High Conservation Value areas
- Radioactive materials and unbonded asbestos fibres.
- Construction of new and extension of any existing coal fired thermal power plants.
- Pornography and/or prostitution
- Racist and/or anti-democratic media
- Weapons and munitions
- In the event that any of the following products form a substantial part of a project’s primary financed business activities:
a) Alcoholic beverages (except beer and wine);
b) Tobacco; or
c) Gambling, casinos and equivalent enterprises.